Monday, December 13, 2010

Calcium

So I've noticed subtly that things are a bit 'off' than normal the past 2 weeks. I'm protruding a bit of a gut and generally don't feel as well. Digestive issues seem to have flared up recently. I'm trying to think what I've changed or done differently and I'm beginning to think that calcium may be the issue.

I usually get my calcium from:
  • ca/mg/zn complex (weened off of it about 1-2 months ago)
  • mineral waters
  • vegetables/broccoli/spinach (have doubts on how bioavailable those sources are)
  • raw goat kefir (been 2 weeks since I've had some)
  • raw milk (a recent addition, also been without ~2 weeks)
I've had a number of incidents in the past where I had left out calcium from my diet and began feeling less well after a while. There are a few reasons why calcium may have been and still is an issue for me due to low stomach acid (decreases absorption) and low vitamin d status. I went dairy free about 3 years ago and have only recently been adding in some raw dairy on a semi-regular basis. Every 3-6 months I experiment with raw dairy and so far it's always failed except for this time (so far). I think it may be due to improved vitamin d status and improved immune reaction combined with digestive enzymes that are really causing me to revisit dairy and health. I notice when I do drink milk it leans me out, in a good way, fairly quickly and raises body temperatures. I also tend to see a slight reduction in the circles under the eyes (not always consistent though).

Today I was totally craving some raw milk, but having none settled for some ice cream. Although ice cream is certainty not the preferred source of dairy I feel like it hit the craving. Anyway I am beginning to think that a milk diet, or at least partial milk diet, is warranted in an attempt to clear up some digestive issues. Incidentally I think many of my digestive issues really took force after I dropped the dairy and started taking alot of magnesium supplements (which act as an antacid, d'oh!). I am thinking dairy, especially raw dairy, has a protective effect against bad bacteria as well as supplying butyrate and other beneficial fats to the intestines. I get the feeling calcium plays a role because butter doesn't really give me the same effects, in fact usually I start putting on some weight whenever I slather butter on everything. Calcium is supposed to be effective for fat loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment