Sunday, May 12, 2013

Copper to the forefront

My interest has been renewed with copper over the past couple of weeks. Antibiotics, though helpful, seem to have plateaued in effectiveness. I've noticed that my fatigue in the past few days has gotten much better.  I started to supplement 9mg/day consistently the past week, in the past my copper supplementation was never consistent because I generally felt worse on it (brain fog, irritability) and didn't see much benefit. Lately in addition to a clearer head and more energy I seem to be losing fat and spider veins are less noticeable (copper is good for vascular health [1]).

Copper directly has antibacterial, anti fungal, and antiviral properties[2]. Copper is also important for the immune system and a deficiency can lead to low white blood count (neutropenia) as my previous post reported. A recent blood test showed my white blood cell count was no longer below the range, but was still at the low end. I have noticed fowl smelling bowel movements lately which lead me to wonder if that is a sign of die off. I am seeing much less undigested food particles.

This may explain why I always felt my digestion would improve when I ate liver (the wealth of other nutrients including zinc and vitamin A are important too for the immune system). Danny Roddy mentioned his digestion seemed to improve quite a bit once he started consuming oysters. Paul Jaminet believes his wife's hypothyroidism was caused by copper deficiency. Another antecedote suggests copper was key to resolving candida and cold hands[3]

Other things I've been taking recently - monolaurin, turmeric, ginger. And one colostrum mega-dose the other day. That may have also had an impact. I tritrated down on pregnenelone.

[1] http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2010/04/copper-and-cardiovascular-disease.html
[2] http://www.benthamscience.com/ccb/samples/ccb3-3/0003CCB.pdf
[3] http://www.angelfire.com/cantina/candida/hands.html

No comments:

Post a Comment